Monday, July 17, 2006

Rhododendron - a countryside scourge.

Rhododendrons are a pet HATE of mine. When they have been allowed to spread rampant throughout the countryside they become a menace. The roots put chemicals into the soil around the plant to 'inhibit' the growth of other plants [ apart from the few trees which were already large enough before the Rhoddies arrived], and these chemicals are also present in the plant itself. The flowers although 'big and blousy' and visited by many bees, are only around for a short time, and any honey containing the pollen from large numbers of blooms, can end up containing so much of the chemical that it can poison the bees in the winter time when they eat their store of honey. The branches and stems also contain the chemical and there have been a few cases where dogs which chew and 'munch' sticks of rhododendron, thrown for them by their owners, can end up with stomach cramps and severe stomach problems caused by the sap.

This is just a few of the reasons why I think it is an excellent to eradicate as much Rhododendron ponticum [the wild purple variety] as possible, to allow the natural flora and fauna to flourish instead. This is what I have been helping with in Kilmarnock with Scott the Clydesdale Horse, assisting us by removing the cut branches to a place where they can be burned safely. [see previous posts] I do have to admit that the thicker stems are excellent wood for burning on fires producing very little smoke and a lot of heat, once they start to burn. The wood from the thicker stems is also good for carving as it is very dense and can be cut into shapes which will not snap easily, in fact I made myself a walking stick from one length, cut out at Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park.

1 comment:

boneman said...

I crave the ZEP, and always want her t'have a laugh, so, maybe y'could pass this on t'her.

Uh, y'all know what bears are, doncha?
Hey, it ain't a stupid question, because I used m'best on her and she din't know what I was sayin.

OK, the best, first...

Hi! How ya doin?

oh, fine. how are you?

well, since ya asked, last night I dreamed I was a car muffler. Wasn't bad, but, I woke up exhausted.



OK, maybe it just ain't funny.

How 'bout,

A Priest, a Pentecostal Minister and a Rabbi all served as chaplains to the students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette.
They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop. One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear.

One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment. They
would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it and attempt to convert it.



Seven days later, they're all together to discuss their experiences.

Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches and has
various bandages, goes first.
"Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. And when I found him, I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."



Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory heclaimed, "WELL brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to my bear from God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quick DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of The week in Fellowship,
feasting on God's Holy Word, and praising Jesus."

They both looked down at the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed tubes in and out of him. He was in bad shape. The rabbi , with a look of wise reflection, looks up and says, "Looking back on it,

circumcision may not have been the best way to start."

Give her m'love, and, oh, if you've gone that far, give her a kiss, too.