Monday, September 05, 2005

Mouse eye view!



This is my cat - SUKI.

She is now five years old, and a very quiet, very placid cat and who prefers to stay in the comfort of the house most of the time.

She will occasionally go outdoors - usually at twilight, and then only for an hour or so - often when the five local tomcats have already been through the garden!!!

She did once bring home a small mouse - one evening when it had begun to pelt with rain after she had gone out. She appeared at the front door - just as I opened it, with a small woodmouse hanging by the tail from her mouth - I kid you not!! The classic cartoon scene! She then dropped it at my feet and lay down to promptly dry herself off. I looked down at my feet just as the mouse jumped up and scurried under the nearby telephone table!! Suki just looked up at me as if to say "Well, it was so wet outside I thought it would like to come into the dry!!" She then ignored the mouse and went back to her cleaning. Luckily I had a small pondnet in my basement, and caught the mouse and put it back outside under the hedge - where it sat 'sort of stunned' for a moment and then ran into the branches of the privet. [I had checked it over gently before releasing it - just in case.] I have to say Suki brought me another couple of live mice that autumn, but nothing since then. She does wear a collar and bell - and I have to admit is not the 'fleetest' of cats. I think the mice she caught were youngsters at the time.

No comments: